The Andhra Valley Power Supply Company Limited, now 'The Tata Power Company Limited', started the construction of hydro-electric power station in Bhivpuri, Maharashtra in 1916. This was Tata Power's second hydro power endeavour. The Bhivpuri plant with its six generating sets was commissioned in 1922 and had a capacity to generate 48 MW (6 X 8 MW). It was between 1957 to 1961 that all Sets were rewound for an output of 13.33 MVA at 0.9 power factor, increasing station capacity to 72 MW (6 X 12 MW). Today, the Bhivpuri hydro-electric generating stations transmit power over 110 kV transmission lines to the industries and licensees in Mumbai metropolis. Bhivpuri's tailrace water is used by many industries in Badlapur, Ambernath and Ulhasnagar MIDC area.
- 1922 - 1923 - Commissioned with a capacity of 48 MW (6 units of 8 MW each)
- 1957 - 1961 - Rewinding of all generators and replacement of shaft & runners of all sets carried out to enhance generating capacity from 8 MW to 12 MW for each set.
- 1961 - 1965 - Tunnel rehabilitation work carried out at Bhivpuri to improve tunnel capacity.
- 1997 - 2001 - Thokerwadi dam strengthened by constructing 9 additional buttresses on the dam’s downstream side. Also, the height of waste weir raised by around 900 mm.
- 1999 - Old units replaced by 3 x 24 MW multi-jet vertical shaft machines
- 2000 - New Penstock commissioned
- 1999 - 2001 - New intake tunnel constructed at Khand and commissioned in March 2001.
- 2006 - 96 MW load picked up on MPH.
- 2010 - Rehabilitation of old sets Nos. 1 & 5 completed.